Separation - Ex-wife Refuses to Communicate

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Peter Harris

5 July 2014

I have recently separated from my wife (about a month and a half ago).

I own an apartment (which I purchased prior to getting married) and it is registered under my name. When we separated, I moved out of my apartment to give her some time and space. I have been living in a hotel for the past month and a half, and now I would like to move back into my apartment.

However, she refuses to respond to phone calls, text messages and e-mails. I even sent her a registered letter which she did not accept.

I would like to know what my legal rights are to move back into my own apartment and request for her to leave (I am even willing to offer to pay for her accommodation if that is what is required). If I have this right, how do I go about enforcing it if she refuses to communicate?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.


Well-Known Member
8 April 2014
G'day Peter,
Its your name on the title for the apartment so you'd be entitled to move back into your apartment. I assume you still have keys? (You can always get a locksmith in too.)
It might be worth contacting Family Relationships (they have an advice line) and perhaps once you see your wife in person, try to arrange a family dispute resolution session with Family Relationships so that both of you can start communicating (more effectively) with each other.
  • Like
Reactions: Amanda E