QLD Ex-Wife Sold My Personal Items After Separation - Legal Under Family Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dwayne Harry

13 November 2015
My wife and I separated 2 years ago now and approximately 8-9 months after separation, I became extremely ill which required many, many months of hospitalisation and continuing treatment. Whilst I was incapacitated, my elder sister took control of the sale of our assets and property settlement of finances (which I lost out big time). Putting that aside, many items that I purchased purely for myself during our marriage i.e iPad, fishing gear, tools, bike, etc., have either been disposed or sold by my former wife. I am yet to clarify as she will not communicate with me.

Is she allowed to sell, give away, or dispose of my personal items without my consent under Family Law?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Is she allowed to sell your stuff? Nope...
Is there anything you can do about it? Nope - especially if you've already completed consent orders for finances. If you have not completed consent orders for finances, then those items should be included when determining your combined assets. But they will be considered at garage sale value.

IMO - move on and forget it...

Sorry

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I agree with Sammy.

Situation is unfair but not worth your time trying to recover your items.