NSW Scammer Committed Cheque Fraud - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

perception30

6 December 2016
Hello,

I sold bitcoins worth of $9500 to a person who told me that he made cheque deposit to my account by using Smart ATM of Westpac bank. When I logged into my Westpac, it was showing that $9500 was pending. Normally Westpac shows every other deposits as pending at first and then eventually clears fund within 2/3 business days. So I released the bitcoins to that guy.

Later, the bank manager called me and said they could not find the cheque anywhere in the deposit machine and asked me to provide more information. I asked them if the cheque was not found or validated, why would you show it in my transaction history. I have a screenshot of that as well.

Later, I understood it was probably a cheque fraud. Was there any fault by the bank? I think the scammer actually fooled the bank machine? Can I claim my money back from Westpac or file a case against them?

I need help

Reactions: Timothy Longmire

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Your main cause of action is against the person who committed the fraud.

Westpac would only be liable if they were negligent in some way.

I asked them if cheque was not found or validated, why would you show it in my transaction history.

What did Westpac answer?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Can you contact the other party to resend another cheque as the other one was not deposited?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
If you are confident of this then it sounds like the NAB have done nothing wrong.

Report the matter to the police as well. Don't expect much to happen but the more reports they receive the more they have to track down and prosecute the offender/s.

I assume you don't have any kind of business insurance, in which case I think you are out of luck and just learnt an expensive lesson.