NSW Money deposited direct from unknow person in China to my account is possible money laundering?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Paul Sullivan

2 September 2020
$70k dropped into my Westpac account from a chinese citizen, using the overseas banks hi value transaction protocal, leaving only the name of the depositor and transaction munber. They used my full name, bsb and account number in the process. I asked my bank to trace the transaction, which provided nomore details however, the remitting bank has requested on behalf of their customer that the money be retured, claiming it was an eronious mistake. My bank, unble to give me more details agreed to facilitae the refund, once I have comleted an authority for Westpac to take the funds from my account, returning it as requested. I am convinced this is an attempt at money laundering, with no details of the depositor available to my Aust bank, due to "privacy laws" or traceable via the system they used to deposit. How is an accident be made possible, or even random as the depositor must know all of my personal details, without explaination. My banks systems didnt do the "mistake" so offer to facilitae my authority. taking no responsibilty for the money coming or going back. Is it true that If it was a mistake made by my bank, they could reverse the error usig their systems without requiring my authority to do so? What is the posibilty of a cineses citizten suing me in Austraila if I refuse to sign the authority for westpac to facilitate it and if the money is no longer in my account, how, who and when will charges be laid against me. Can I be charged with thieft? taking part in money laundering? Lastly, can westpac lodge any charge against me that might mandate my signing their documents, enableing them to fulfil any policy or legal agreement between international banks for them to prosocute me?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Human error can occur.
In any event, crime or no crime, no way do you get to keep the money.

Sign the authority, get it out of your life.
Then, if your bank won't set you up with a new account number, new cards,etc,
at no charge, change banks.