Removal of Conviction from Criminal Record - How?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kate30

15 July 2014
Hi,

I am trying to help my brother get something off his criminal record that he got a bit over 10 years ago. It is stopping him from getting a job anywhere but a factory (which is planning on closing down soon). He would actually love to also go to uni so I think if we can get this silly thing off his record he will be better involved in society.

Can anyone give me advice on how to go about this? It was an weapons offence (as in he had pepper spray for self protection which he didn't know was illegal in Australia).

Any help would be appreciated. We are just not sure where to start and which type of lawyer we would need to see.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Kate30,
  1. Which state/territory was your brother convicted in?
  2. If it has been over 10 years since the conviction, your brother will generally to apply for a "spent conviction" but the process varies by state/territory.

Kate30

15 July 2014
Thanks for the quick reply. It was NSW, would he apply for a spent conviction for this state? and if so, how do we do that?