Refusing to communicate about lost money

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
4 July 2022
I need some assistance in understanding my rights. If anyone can advise me I would be very grateful. My boyfriend of five years asked me to purchase tickets for him to travel from the UK to Australia to visit me, as I am currently very sick. Despite not having much money, I did this via the only line of credit I have available to me and my four children, as I felt the benefit of having him here would outweigh the costs of me paying back the money each week. I had to buy two seperate tickets since my line of credit would only allow me to some up to $2000 per transaction, and therefore could not buy a return ticket in one purchase. I purchased a London to Australia ticket for just over $1800, and a Australia to London for just over $1500. However, he did not take the flight. I still do not know why, as he refuses to answer his phone. He apparently spoke to his housemate about it and he then went to bed and switched off his phone, leaving me bewildered and distraught, not knowing what was happening. I ended up having to email his housemate who replied to let me know that he had not taken the flight, that he had no idea why. I did not hear from my boyfriend for three days following this. As such. I could not cancel the London to Australia flight and lost over $1800. I have since tried to get in touch to ask for assistance to recover this, to no avail. I have also been told by the airline that the passenger has to cancel the other $1500 ticket. He refuses to reply to messages or phone calls. He emotionally leant on me to but these expensive tickets, I have four children to support and am currently suffering health-wise. Is this a moral situation or can I attempt to seek legal help in at least waking him up to assist in me recovering at least the return ticket which is booked for August? The flight is useless to me as it is in his name, and is non transferable. Any advice would be appreciated.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Talk to the airline, say it is your money and you want it back (if they give refunds at all).

How did you make the payment? Possibly talk to your bank as well.

And drop the deadbeat. That behaviour from him is inexcusable and reprehensible.