Recovering alcoholic -child custody

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Scottyb141087

27 June 2021
Hi Guys,

Would love some advice and or help.

I am an alcaholic in early recovery. I have been in and out of recovery for the past 3 years.
I have previously spent 9 months sober and also 3 and 4 months during the past 3 years. I have recently separated from my sons (3 yr) mother. s have made many mistakes and am deeply ashamed of my alcoholism and the affects. First i have never driven under the influence had any court or any trouble with the law.
Having recently seperate i am attempting to get and agreement with the ex for time with my som. I currently am not able to drive with my son through the ex demands ( i ahve a breatheliser which i do when colleting and dropping my son back). so am forced to take him to the park cafe local to him. Due to abuse received i can no longer be in the ex house as she abuses me constantly and destroys bonding time with me and my son.

It looks to be going to mediation and then possiblyy courts.
As it stands (early sobriety) i am only requesting a minimun of weeekends together, the abillity to drive with hima nd take hm to see family and my place.

With my history i am after advice on what mediation and courts may do in my case? i just wnat proper bonding time with my son and future 50?50