VIC Question about stealing from the back of a grocery store.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

adav6638

15 December 2023
Hi I work at woolies and recently brought my escooter in with a backpack full of belongings and electronics. I locked it up in the back loading dock out of the way with a generic bike chain we sell instore. After my shift I noticed the lot was missing. I immediately called 000 to create a theft report and also emailed the store manager who wasn't in. He replied a few days later saying the CCTV shows everything, that a staff member pulled the chain off and brought the items inside into an office and then said 'I'll go check the office now to see if they're still there' over the phone and then a few minutes later returned saying sorry they're gone. There is no CCTV here and then kept reiterating that too bad, it is my fault that I left it there, etc. The police also done nothing other than create a report for insurance purposes (I have no insurance and wouldn't know where to begin in getting this type of insurance? Each insurance broker only have home, car, etc and not personal belongings).

Anyway, I live close to a Coles which is also next to my 24/7 gym which I visit late at night and realised the back loading dock of Coles always has many pallets of Veges, bags of onions and whole pumpkins, boxes of bananas, etc, that are not saleable due to rotten spots, colour changes and odour yet seem perfectly edible. I know at woolies loads are dumped in the bins (and I mean LOADS) which are then written off and at the end of each week the totals are reported with goals of minimising loss.
I've been careless in loading trolleys full of these Veges and taking them home night after night and even if they have CCTV do not care as it has happened to me and nothing was done.
Am I in the wrong or breaking the law?
Is being revengeful illegal and punishable?

We usually donate a fair share of food to charities such as ozharvest but there is a limit to quality and the rest is a real shame (not even being able to donate it to animal feed charities as it is mostly green leaved cabbage and lettuce thrown away too).

Thank you.