QLD QCAT - Can Bank Statement be Proof of Paid Invoice?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Alex Jones

26 May 2016
I am a bit distressed - could anyone please confirm if providing a copy of my bank statement is proof enough that I have paid an invoice sent to me last year?

A business is threatening legal / QCAT action against me for an invoice they claim I didn't pay. I have found my bank statement that proves I paid it and sent a copy to the business, but they want to go ahead with QCAT or legal action they say, as they can't find a record of the payment at their end.

Is this my problem or theirs?

By chance if it goes further, will I need to provide anything else? Will I need to organise a trace or anything? Will QCAT accept my bank statement as is? Or am I ok because of my proof?

Just a bit worried - I am too old for this sort of worry when I know I did the right thing. Just wondering how far I might have to go to prove it, etc.

Thank you very much.

S

Sophea

Hi Alex, I would go to your bank and see what other information they can provide you with in relation to the transaction, they may be willing to provide you with a letter to you confirming you made a payment to the business on X date if they are prepared to do that. I would be firm with the business and write them a stern letter indicating that you have paid the invoice - attach evidence of this - i.e. your bank statement and whatever else you have and state that if they wish to take it to QCAT you will be seeking your legal costs.