Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD QCAT - Can Bank Statement be Proof of Paid Invoice?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by Alex Jones, 26 May 2016.

Tags:
  1. Alex Jones

Alex Jones Member

I am a bit distressed - could anyone please confirm if providing a copy of my bank statement is proof enough that I have paid an invoice sent to me last year?

A business is threatening legal / QCAT action against me for an invoice they claim I didn't pay. I have found my bank statement that proves I paid it and sent a copy to the business, but they want to go ahead with QCAT or legal action they say, as they can't find a record of the payment at their end.

Is this my problem or theirs?

By chance if it goes further, will I need to provide anything else? Will I need to organise a trace or anything? Will QCAT accept my bank statement as is? Or am I ok because of my proof?

Just a bit worried - I am too old for this sort of worry when I know I did the right thing. Just wondering how far I might have to go to prove it, etc.

Thank you very much.

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi Alex, I would go to your bank and see what other information they can provide you with in relation to the transaction, they may be willing to provide you with a letter to you confirming you made a payment to the business on X date if they are prepared to do that. I would be firm with the business and write them a stern letter indicating that you have paid the invoice - attach evidence of this - i.e. your bank statement and whatever else you have and state that if they wish to take it to QCAT you will be seeking your legal costs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...