QLD Accountant During Bankruptcy Taking Me to QCAT

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bevlee

22 July 2015
I declared bankruptcy, which ended last December. During the bankruptcy time an accountant who had been appointed by the court to manage my company didn't charge for 11 months of his services, unbeknown to me. I never received an invoice until 12 months after he was no longer managing the business. I asked the court to give me back the right to run my business. In first court orders it was noted that he was to pay any debts - like bank fees etc, and to take out his fees and then what was left was distributed to me and my partner (ex husband). He chose not to do that for 11 months, prior to that time he had taken his fees each month for 8 years.

Now he has gone to QCAT, we have mediation, and he wants to be paid. We offered $200 per month. I am now on an age pension and have no assets, no savings and a small side income of approx $400 per month. He has refused the offer. I don't know what to do and cannot afford a lawyer.

S

Sophea

Hi Bevlee,

Did the bankruptcy last for 8 years? Or was he your accountant prior to you going bankrupt? And just to be clear, he distributed your funds back to you after payment of fees and debts and then asked for his fees, contrary to the court orders, is that correct?