QLD Pool robot cleaner

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nicholasjb

15 September 2021
Good morning. Recently purchased a pool cleaner at a price of $1499. Purchased this robot after on-line resarch and discussions with various pool supply outlets. On arriving home I activated cleaner as per instructions to find that it continually mounted corner of bottom step of pool becoming stuck and ended up at the end of the cycle still with a dirty pool. Very disappointing. I returned to the retail outlet next day and explained what had happened to have it suggested by am employee that I may have odd shaped steps (I don't, they are as standard as you would find in a fibreglass drop in pool), when I explained that they were not I was advised that there are no guarantees that the cleaner would work in my particular pool. I asked what could I do and received a shrugging of shoulders. I asked that if the manufacturing company rep could drop by to have a look. In all the paraphernalia that I read was there any mention of the step maybe being an issue not was I asked by the outlet, in fact all I read was how great this machine is. I suggested to the employee that I may have a $1500 dud and got a blank stare . What are my rights and what steps do I need to take? Thank you.

Nighthelyn

24 September 2014
Sydney
Dear Nicholasjb,

It’s been a few months since you post this question and in case it is still relevant, the below is a simple step by step usually in dealing with consumer product issues, and each step cost time and more money:

Step 1: make sure you still have the product, keep the packaging if possible, purchase receipts, records, keep a copy of all the things you read that confirms there is nothing relating to “steps”;

Step 2: go to the retail outlet and ask to speak to someone more than an employee - manager, record their response, formally write to them requesting they replace or return the product, not if they respond or not;

Step 3: contact the manufacturing company - you may have to bring the equipment with you or otherwise write to them requesting return or replace - I don’t think any of them does house call - especially during Covid-19 era it is not unreasonable for them to refuse to come to your place;

Step 4: if neither the retail seller or the manufacturer respond to you, you can elect to lodge a consumer complaint - here is the link in QLD Complaints and investigations
Maybe also contact a consumer advocacy group like Consumer Federation Australia - although I don’t think they represent this type of issue;

Step 5: if you are prepared to spend money, the cheapest forum to take a claim is Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal consumer division https://www.qcat.qld.gov.au/resources/forms; and

Step 6: Failing all these and you wish to pursue further, you will likely need to consult a private solicitor. However given the cost of the good, it is likely not worth it.

Good luck!
-Nighthelyn
General legal discussion only. Not legal advice.