WA Police Drugs Raid - How to Get Cash Returned?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


16 May 2015
Money (cash) taken by police during a property raid. Thought to have been from sale of drugs, this was not proven to be the case and a charge of being in possession being the outcome.

Over 3 months ago now and still having trouble getting the money returned. How do I get them to return my money?

Sarah J

Well-Known Member
16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Tapwasher,

Property confiscation is regulated by the Criminal Property Confiscation Act 2000 (WA). You may recover the money by (i) talking with the police, or (ii) applying to court for the return of your money under section 87. If you apply to court, you will need to argue one of the grounds for why court should order police to return the money (e.g. innocent party). Otherwise, you may object to the confiscation by filing to court an objection under section 79. However, this may not help you if the money is already taken away.