NT Charged for Possession of Drugs - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Omnious

11 September 2016
Hi,

I have been charged with possession of a commercial quantity of drugs (10 tabs lsd). 1 charge of trafficable amount of mdma (20 pills), 2 charges less than trafficable amounts of ice 0.5g and weed 3g and possession of 2 ice pipes. It was all for personal use. Only the ice pipes were found in the raid, no cash or drugs. All the drugs were found in intercepted mail during the week prior to the raid.

I am in Northern Territory and out on bail until court on Thursday. This is my first time in trouble with the police for anything and I've always had a good job and contributed to society. I've been in Australia 3 years; I immigrated from NZ. The cops told me nothing but to go to court on Thursday.

I have no family and have a few friends in Australia.

What is the court process? Will I be sentenced on Thursday? What are my prospects of avoiding jail? I remained silent throughout custody and refused police interview. What should I expect and how should I prepare?

DMQC

29 June 2016
The very first thing you should do is get yourself a lawyer - most lawyers are understanding of the fact that clients may not have funds available upfront and are open to negotiate payment plans.

Insofar as what to expect -

1. I suspect you are attending a plea hearing on Thursday, in which case you will be asked whether you wish to plead guilty or not guilty. You are not required to enter a plea and can ask the magistrate for an adjournment so you can seek legal advice - typically you can do this again if needed.

2. If you are found guilty on all charges you will likely serve a custodial sentence - I say this without knowing any mitigating factors which may assist you in avoiding a term of imprisonment.

3. You were right in staying silent in the Police Interview, good work.

4. Insofar as preparation is concerned I suggest finding a lawyer, or money for a lawyer, as your main priority. It would be impossible to learn enough between now and Thursday to assist in your case, just plead not guilty (if that is your intention).

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions