VIC How to Get iPad Back from Police?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jembella

5 December 2016
Hi,

My ex was staying in his mate's house when the house was raided. His mate was locked up a few weeks prior to the raid and my ex was staying there in a house sitting capacity. While my ex was at work, the house was raided and an iPad (which was mine that I had given to him to fix for me) was taken by the police during the raid.

I was wondering if anyone knows if I am able to get the iPad back off the police. Or how I would go about it?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

Your ex should have been given a receipt for the items taken and he would have had to sign for it. The easiest way would be for him to go to the police station to request the items and submit a formal request if required. Your other option is to put in a complaint to the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) Independent broad-based anti-corruption commission

You may be able to explain the situation but you might need a statement from your ex to support your claim.

You can find some more information here: Police Search and Seize Powers – Do You Know Your Rights? (VIC) - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au

Reactions: Timnuts

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Hi,

My ex was staying in his mate's house when the house was raided. His mate was locked up a few weeks prior to the raid and my ex was staying there in a house sitting capacity. While my ex was at work, the house was raided and an iPad (which was mine that I had given to him to fix for me) was taken by the police during the raid.

I was wondering if anyone knows if I am able to get the iPad back off the police. Or how I would go about it?

You need to get on to the Informant and request return of the phone and if they don't believe it is required as evidence then they may return it.

Thanks
Tony Danos, Melbourne Lawyer: Book Online | LawTap

Reactions: Iamthelaw