Pointless, Outdated or Just Weird Laws in NSW?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dr_nobody69

23 May 2014
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows of any old laws, or weird Australian laws that are commonly broken or that are turned a blind eye to, if that makes sense. After a few hours of google searches I have uncovered the usual ones that seem to be floating around like: wearing a disguise in public, jaywalking, joking at an airport, etc.

Hoping that some professionals might be able to help with some more regionally specific or interesting examples!

Thanks!

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi dr_nobody69,
Is this homework or curiousity?

dr_nobody69

23 May 2014
Hi John, it's a bit of both. I'm planning a performance art project that could involve some minor lawbreaking, if they are the right laws, and if there is no chance I will be prosecuted if I display the evidence.

Do you know any good ones?

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows of any old laws, or laws that are commonly broken or that are turned a blind eye to, if that makes sense. After a few hours of google searches I have uncovered the usual ones that seem to be floating around like: wearing a disguise in public, jaywalking, joking at an airport, etc.

Hoping that some professionals might be able to help with some more regionally specific or interesting examples!

Thanks!
Hi dr_nobody69,
Is this homework or curiousity?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
A rule unique to NSW is Rule 291-3 of the NSW Road Rules 2008:

291–3 NSW rule: splashing mud on bus passengers

A driver must take due care, by slowing down or stopping the driver’s vehicle if necessary, not to splash mud on (a) any person in or on a bus, or (b) any person entering or leaving any stationary bus, or (c) any person waiting at any bus stop, if the bus concerned is being used to provide a public passenger service or the bus stop concerned is a stop relating to buses used for that purpose.

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
Note 1. Bus, driver’s vehicle and public passenger service are defined in the Dictionary.
Note 2. This rule is an additional NSW road rule. There is no corresponding rule in the Australian Road Rules.

Reactions: winston wolf

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
If you commit an offence, there is always a prospect of being prosecuted.
Even if it's ("only") for public nuisance.

In essence, your question is:

"Help me pick offences I can commit, in the course of art,
for which I will probably not be prosecuted".

Sorry, but I can't think of an ethical way to do that.

dr_nobody69

23 May 2014
Thanks Tim, although the original question was regarding outdated laws still in effect, it has basically become the question you rephrased, beautifully, if I may add.

It's a shame that we have such a well maintained legal system, for this project anyway.

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Police normally have a few up their sleeve.
I did hear once that it was illegal to stand still on a Sydney city foot path. Originally to stop people selling stuff on the streets I believe. I cant vouch for the veracity of this one.

dr_nobody69

23 May 2014
Police normally have a few up their sleeve.
I did hear once that it was illegal to stand still on a Sydney city foot path. Originally to stop people selling stuff on the streets I believe. I cant vouch for the veracity of this one.

Thanks WW, I can't believe that I didn't think to consult the cops, good call.

haiqu

12 June 2014
There are myeariad "catch-all" laws designed to be used judiciously by authorities when needed, in order to control situations that are otherwise innocuous to the average person. Vagrancy comes to mind, it's a good way to get out of a wrongful arrest suit if you happen to wear blue.

Cynical is me.

Reactions: Quarterlife