Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Ownership of Recovered Goods - Return to Home Insurance Company?

Discussion in 'Insurance Law Forum' started by Jenny C, 17 July 2014.

1. Jenny C

Jenny C Member

Some items were stolen during a burglary and then replaced by the home insurance company. Not long afterwards, the police recovered a couple of the stolen items.

Am I right in assuming that under insurance law the insurance company owns the recovered items as they have replaced them?

I informed them promptly about the recovery and they asked me to send the old items (or the replacement ones if I liked!) to them. The trouble is that I haven't been reimbursed some other costs related to this claim and I'm reluctant to ship some heavy-ish items (old laptops, etc) interstate if I am not going to be reimbursed.

2. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi @Jenny C,
    It varies by insurance company and your policy but as a general rule, the insurance company owns recovered stolen property that they've previously replaced with cash/replacement property.

In relation to reimbursement, your policy should contain a "dispute resolution procedure" that sets out how you can make a complaint in relation to the processing of your claim.

Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...