VIC Non-resident Parent Moving - Significant Change in Parenting Orders?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
You cannot stop anyone moving. How would you do that?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
You can't stop the other parent from moving if it doesn't impede on your time with the kids.

I'm not clear on the context here, though.

Has the non-resident parent advised they want to move? Are they seeking to negotiate a change to care arrangements?

Bstef99

4 February 2018
The kids' dad has advised he is thinking of moving and wants to "discuss current orders". I've expressed I don't like the idea as it would mean the kids are too far from school. I thought maybe he could claim that moving and a new job would be considered a significant change, and that he would try to increase his current time as a result, hence my posts about Rice v Asplund.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Right.

Moving further away won't be much support for getting more time with the kids. If dad already lived far away and was moving closer, sure, but if anything, it's probably going to result in less time, not more.

But rather than assuming anything about dad's intentions, you really need to just sit down and talk with him about what he thinks are appropriate care arrangements if he does move. Ask him if he would like to attend mediation to discuss it. He may actually be seeking an agreement about less time, but wants to make sure it'll be on weekends when he's not working or whatever.

Don't presume anything about dad's intentions. As far you're aware, dad's only intention is to discuss current orders.