VIC Change child's school after final parenting order is issued

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Muxaul

10 October 2017
I obtained final parenting order in May 2020 where child has shared parenting arrangement and equal parenting responsibility.

Current situation is that both me and ex live in same school zone and child attends a ok-ish public primary school and there is no good high school in that zone. Ex is jobless living on her own in a rental place. I too rent in that suburb but work full time.
I will soon start a new job in a more convenient suburb 26km away and the school there is one of the best public school in Vic. High school in that zone is also one of the best public schools in the state. The rent in that suburb is about same level as current suburb me and my ex live in.

I wish both of us could relocate to that suburb so that child can receive better education and as I would avoid long distance travelling by living closer to my work, I will have more free time looking after my child too. If ex agrees to move there too then the child will be a lot better off overall.

I understand that if ex finds a job she might need to work in a totally opposite direction so its best to wait until she find a job to discuss the relocation. But what if she never finds a job or takes years to find a job? Currently what she gets from Centrelink and child support is comparable to what she use to earn full time so there is no benefit (or loss) for her to find a job or relocate besides more convenient lifestyle for both of us. Relocation mainly benefits me and our only child.

I have communicated this with ex but she gave no response. We had a high conflict case previously and I dealt with numerous false allegations and an IVO, so I will not be surprised if she says no for the sake of saying no. If we cannot agree on relocation, can I file a new application in family court seeking to change current final order, so that I can change child to a new school? If so, how soon can I file a new application giving the final order was only 5 months old?

Regards

Last edited:

sammy01

27 September 2015
U need a significant change in circumstance to 're open a case. A new job isn't significant

Muxaul

10 October 2017
U need a significant change in circumstance to 're open a case. A new job isn't significant
Is "A party seeking to relocate" a significant change in circumstances? My main reasoning is that I seek relocation so that child can have a much better education while I can have a lot more time looking after him by not travelling so much each day.

Last edited: