WA Magistrates Court Minor Claim - Evidence of Credibility

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
2 April 2015
I am the respondent in a minor claim in the Magistrates Court over the supply of a new driveway. My defence under evidence law is the Plaintiff's breach of contract, actual and implied, under contract law. I have withheld around 30% of the contract value and the plaintiff is attempting to recover that.

Because of the low value the case will be heard without counsel.

I know that the plaintiff has recently been convicted and heavily fined for False and Misleading Representations in regard to his concreting business.

Can I bring this up in evidence to suggest he:
a) Is not a credible witness
b) Signed the contract with no intention of fulfiling the written terms on the contract, nor the implied terms such as compliance with Industry Standards and Council Regulations

If so, how is this best done?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You should bring as much evidence as you can.

The Magistrate may rule some evidence as inadmissible, or not relevant, or dismiss it with vague reasoning but that should not stop you putting into your case what you believe are relevant facts. The word 'facts' is important. State the facts. Do not use conjecture or embellish or lie.

S

Sophea

The general rule is that you cannot adduce evidence regarding a person's credibility. There are some exceptions to this rule however I doubt any will apply in a small claims matter.