QLD Joint Payment Dispute for Producing Session

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ryan Prosser

16 August 2014
Another person and I went halves on a producing session deal and I believe they intend to go without me and claim I didn't pay for it if I take them to court. Little do they know I have a recorded conversation as evidence. Can I take them to court under Australian Law over this and what is it classed as? Also what are the court fees involved with taking someone to court?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Ryan,
Can you please clarify the following:
  1. By producing session, I assume you mean a music production session (or similar)?
  2. I assume that you are yet to attend the session?
  3. How much money did the session cost? This generally determines the most appropriate court/tribunal (and court fees).
  4. In relation to the recording, was this made in-person or via phone (or similar) without the other person's consent?

Ryan Prosser

16 August 2014
Yes a music session and it only cost $200 each. The recording was made in person and without their consent however I read up on some laws and it has come to my understanding I'm lawfully allowed to record someone's voice and even use a camera without sharing it with other people, just like you can record the cops when they come up to you.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Ryan,
  1. Yes, based on a recent thread that also involved recording a conversation in Queensland ("Recording conversations with dishonest builder"), it appears that your understanding is correct.
  2. Assuming that you are unable to resolve the dispute with the other person and are not prepared to write-off the $200, you may consider filing a minor civil dispute with the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT). The current filing cost for a minor civil dispute under $500 at QCAT is $23.
Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.

S

Sophea

Hi Ryan, yes further to John's comment, s 43, Invasion of Privacy Act 1971 (Qld) is the section that you can quote. It states that it is legal for a face to face conversation to be secretly recorded by a person who is a party to the conversation and such recording may be used in legal proceedings.

Good luck