NSW Australian Law on Admitting Computer Program Results as Evidence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
So, in my opinion, the reasoning behind the law on polygraph applies to TrueAllele.
No, not at all - They are 2 different pieces of technology, used for 2 completely reasons.

SoftSome

27 November 2016
Has TrueAllele been used in Australia? I couldn't find any information, which could mean it could have not been allowed up to today.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
To my knowledge it's only been used once in a murder trial in NSW where there were DNA profiles of 5 closely related relatives involved. Expert evidence was still required from a professional explaining the procedure and following 11 days of deliberations the jury were unable to reach a verdict - I'll let you draw our own conclusions from that.

Although similar technologies (not TrueAllele) have been used since around 2011 I believe.

Reactions: SoftSome

SoftSome

27 November 2016
To my knowledge it's only been used once in a murder trial in NSW where there were DNA profiles of 5 closely related relatives involved. Expert evidence was still required from a professional explaining the procedure and following 11 days of deliberations the jury were unable to reach a verdict - I'll let you draw our own conclusions from that.

Although similar technologies (not TrueAllele) have been used since around 2011 I believe.
Yes, it's in Xie's trial of Epping family murder case. Just find it out. Surprisingly I cannot find that in any Australian media. It seems to me that it has been a well covered secret.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I'll call it.
As far as I can tell, having read some of the American journal articles,
in terms of scientific integrity, and therefore in terms of being reliable evidence,
this product looks to be right up there with alchemy, phrenology, and astrology.

And an "expert" who refused to answer questions under oath
about how it worked, and who refused to release the code to the other side,
for their consideration, would likely be laughed out of court.

I am reminded of a similar question in this thread.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
I'll call it.
As far as I can tell, having read some of the American journal articles,
in terms of scientific integrity, and therefore in terms of being reliable evidence,
this product looks to be right up there with alchemy, phrenology, and astrology.

And an "expert" who refused to answer questions under oath
about how it worked, and who refused to release the code to the other side,
for their consideration, would likely be laughed out of court.

I am reminded of a similar question in this thread.
Brilliantly put.

Reactions: Tim W