NSW Is this defamation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mlzstan

22 June 2021
Nsw
My ex partner recently had me arrested and falsely charged causing me to lose my career..I was a high needs disability support worker ,working with adult autism and challenging behaviours.The charges pending ment i was stood down until such time as i was found innocent. In the process of waiting for the court case to be finalised,My ex a very carasmatic flamboyant artist had managed to destroy my reputation in the small country town we lived in..he told professional people in the same care sector as myself that I have a crack drug habit ro cope with chronic pain...I developed panic and anxiety attacks .my health slipped and despite the criminal charges being thrown out of court I can't return to my career as I have bouts of depression and anxiety that keeps me isolated..my kids and I got pushed out of town forced to find a new town ,new home and one day a new job. ..is this a defamation case..is it worth the fight,should I fight back?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes, you have likely been defamed.

I can't answer if it is worth it. Can you afford to run a case, and if you win can your ex make payment?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Yes, you have likely been defamed.

I can't answer if it is worth it. Can you afford to run a case, and if you win can your ex make payment?
...and if you lose, can you afford to pay the other party's costs as well as your own?