VIC Is it too late to get my kids a lawyer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nuffi

20 December 2023
So... we had an in principle agreement after the hearing negotiations: We would go and see a Psychologist and custody would be as she recommended. However, their side did not agree to go ahead with the report until the week before the hearing, meaning that it was not ready. At the hearing (before a registrar) given that there was no report they decided to push for a trial on custody and now we have a complaince and readiness hearing set for March 4th.

My kids' (11 and 7) time was baselessly removed last christmas. As I thought that we had a path to having that returned I did not push for them to have their own representation, but now they are very much wanting their own voice to be heard.

Is it too late to make that happen?

Can I make a request for one to be appointed?

Is this something that I would have to fund? The other side will do everything they can to prevent this because it will be very very clear to anyone that they want at least 50% time with me.

I can't really afford my own lawyer at this stage, but I would stump up to get one for them.