QLD Custody of Children - Sue Family Report Writer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jarob

25 December 2018
Hi everyone,

Going through a custody of children battle at the moment and in the process had to employ the services of a family report writer very early in the process.

The job this guy did was complete garbage. I was grossly misquoted on a number of things for starters and the recommendations put forward was just absurd and pretty much locked up any chance of the situation evolving to a resolution through the directions hearings. Absolutely nothing was tested, no evaluations, no proof of what x partner was stating was true.

The judge simply had no choice but to leapfrog the case straight to trial which of course means the costs skyrocket.

If in the trial it’s satisfied the basis of what this guy is making his recommendations on becoming evidently baseless can I sue him?

He owns his own private practice.

Thanks in advance,

sammy01

27 September 2015
I can't see how you could sue.
Can you give a bit more detail about what you're concerns are?

Jarob

25 December 2018
At this stage, I can't give any more detail.

What I'm asking is if a family report writer can be sued. I'm not asking if I have a case to sue. No one can make that assessment without detail.

Thanks

Jarob

25 December 2018
No - you can't sue him simply because you disagree with the report.
I'm not asking if I have a case or not to pursue legal action and no one can make statements around that without the detailed facts. Would be nice if people understood that and understood what I'm in fact asking, and that is can a family report writer be brought before a civil court or are they immune from such action? Surely I've clearly explained it adequately now.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Wow - you came here - you asked if you can sue... I've done my best to answer that question - with very little information to help me understand why you think you could / should / might or maybe able to sue. With very little information from you, I've done my best. Your response is rude. Surely I've explained it adequately now... Not a change - can't sue. I wrote it in my first post, I wrote it in my second post. I've now written it again. CANT SUE. U'm btw can't sue....

So instead of coming here and attacking me for doing my best to answer your question, you could have used your own brain, done some research punched some keys on a keyboard and you would have found some information about what you can do if you have concerns. If you'd have done that you'd have found this interesting article.

'The public doesn't know how bad this is': Family Court witness under inquiry

Based on how rude you've been here - I reckon the report writer got it right and you just don't like it.
Oh well.

I wish you well.

One more thing - Nope can't sue.

Reactions: Philly2020

Jarob

25 December 2018
wow - you came here - you asked if you can sue... I've done my best to answer that question - with very little information to help me understand why you think you could / should / might or maybe able to sue. With very little information from you, I've done my best. Your response is rude. Surely I've explained it adequately now... NOT A CHANCE - CANT SUE. I wrote it in my first post, I wrote it in my second post. I've now written it again. CANT SUE. U'm btw can't sue....

So instead of coming here and attacking me for doing my best to answer your question, you could have used your own brain, done some research punched some keys on a keyboard and you would have found some information about what you can do if you have concerns. If you'd have done that you'd have found this interesting article
'The public doesn't know how bad this is': Family Court witness under inquiry

Based on how rude you've been here - I reckon the report writer got it right and you just don't like it.
Oh well.
I wish you well.
One more thing - Nope can't sue.
Sammy I stopped about a 3rd way through your post.

I get frustrated with people who don't understand English words/sentences as they are literally written. Yes you're stating I cannot sue or don't think I have a case to sue, understand that. But what you're not understanding is I'm not asking if I have a case to sue, I'm actually asking can family report writers be sued, in other words are they immune or not from civil law suits.

You're not helping people when you don't take the time and actually read what they are in fact asking, you frustrate them. But somehow I believe you're still not understanding what was actually asked and how you're responses were irrelevant.

Atticus thank you for your response. Thats the exact answer I was after.

sammy01

27 September 2015
The very first sentence of my very first post . "I can't see how you could sue." I too get frustrated with people who are don't understand English. I also don't deal well with rudness.

Alice

30 December 2019
I have had two Family Report writers and if I can add my two bobs worth... both reports were appalling. Full of misquotes and even quotations of things I allegedly said that I did not. Contrary to the rules, I did electronically record the interviews which showed the report writers used "poetic licence" in writing the reports.

On particular thing I disagreed with one report writer who wrote... "The parent has a fixation about the other parent and throughout the interview, regularly spoke of the other parent in a negative light, while should have had attention focused on the child"... The audio recording proved that the report writer questions were greater than 90% specifically about the other parent. These were solicited responses I gave, not compulsive.