VIC Interstate holiday travel

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dutch

10 December 2017
I want to take my 3 children from Melbourne to Canberra to visit my brothers and families for 5 days. I am separated from their father and there are no court orders in place. Do I need his consent or do I need to tell him as he is being difficult to deal with.

Corinne

31 October 2015
Put it this way, if he were to take the children interstate for a holiday would you like to be consulted?

sammy01

27 September 2015
nope - no need to tell him anything... So no orders in place? you can do what you want. Do a google search of shared parental responsibility.... You have an obligation to seek mutually satisfactory solutions to major long term decisions, like school, major medical procedures, residential location.... BUT - routine stuff like what you're gonna do in the school holidays have nothing to do with him AS LONG as the time you're taking the kids to Canberra does not impact on any agreement you have with him about when he sees the kids...

Dutch

10 December 2017
nope - no need to tell him anything... So no orders in place? you can do what you want. Do a google search of shared parental responsibility.... You have an obligation to seek mutually satisfactory solutions to major long term decisions, like school, major medical procedures, residential location.... BUT - routine stuff like what you're gonna do in the school holidays have nothing to do with him AS LONG as the time you're taking the kids to Canberra does not impact on any agreement you have with him about when he sees the kids...

AllForHer

23 July 2014
You don't need his consent but just try and be courteous by letting him know at least. I am sure you would like to know if he was taking the kids out of state.

Dutch

10 December 2017
Thankyou for your kind reply

Dutch

10 December 2017
Thankyou for your kind replies. It seems a bit of a grey area and your comments help.