VIC Family Court in ACT - Get Lawyer in Canberra?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dali

8 October 2018
I live in Melbourne and need to attend a Family Court hearing in the ACT in January. My question is can I get a solicitor from Melbourne to act for me in the A.C.T, or will I need to get a lawyer from Canberra?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Canberra. You don't wanna pay a solicitor to travel to Canberra. I'm sure you're anxious but it is mostly paper.... So meeting solicitor the day before isn't gonna kill you. Just make sure they have all the paperwork well ahead of time

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Which court? And what type of matter?

Why is it in the ACT and not Vic? (ie who moved?)

Dali

8 October 2018
Which court? And what type of matter?

Why is it in the ACT and not Vic? (ie who moved?)
Family court, the person taking me to court is in act and that's where the court has been filed

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
OK. Now who moved?

If they moved to the ACT you may be able to transfer the matter to a Melb court.

If you moved from the ACT to Melb, chances are you're stuck in the ACT.

If the case stays in the ACT, an ACT lawyer makes more sense unless you find a Melb lawyer willing to travel.

Dali

8 October 2018
OK. Now who moved?

If they moved to the ACT you may be able to transfer the matter to a Melb court.

If you moved from the ACT to Melb, chances are you're stuck in the ACT.

If the case stays in the ACT, an ACT lawyer makes more sense unless you find a Melb lawyer willing to travel.
I moved

sammy01

27 September 2015
Are kids involved? Is it a relocation case?

Look I think it is gonna stay in Canberra and you're better getting someone there.