VIC Insurance Claim Investigation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sam45

21 June 2018
An insurance claim was submitted with false information. It was requested it be withdrawn but the insurer refused the request because they are investigating it. What is the likelihood of the matter being referred to the police if it is found to be false?

Clancy

6 April 2016
An insurance claim was submitted with false information. It was requested it be withdrawn but the insurer refused the request because they are investigating it. What is the likelihood of the matter being referred to the police if it is found to be false?

First of all you need to get the wording rite.... An insurance claim was submitted with 'incorrect' information.

Then it was requested to be withdrawn.... Was it requested to be withdrawn in writing?

Sam45

21 June 2018
First of all you need to get the wording rite.... An insurance claim was submitted with 'incorrect' information.

Then it was requested to be withdrawn.... Was it requested to be withdrawn in writing?

Thanks for the response Clancy, yes the request was made in writing, before any contact from the insurer post lodgement of the claim. However, the insurer maintains they reject the request to withdraw the claim.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Thanks for the response Clancy, yes the request was made in writing, before any contact from the insurer post lodgement of the claim. However, the insurer maintains they reject the request to withdraw the claim.

Did you use the term 'false information' anywhere in your communications to the insurer, like you did on this forum?

Sam45

21 June 2018
Did you use the term 'false information' anywhere in your communications to the insurer, like you did on this forum?
No, I just requested to withdraw the claim without any further explanation.

Clancy

6 April 2016
No, I just requested to withdraw the claim without any further explanation.

Ok, well it might now be prudent to cancel the policy and dont take any other insurance with that same company in future? That way removing any reason for them to continue to investigate?

Anyway, the important thing is that you can prove you requested to withdraw the claim. I am pretty sure under Australian law, if you decide not to follow through with a fraud, then no crime has been committed. Weather they investigate or not is irrelevant - Their motivation is probably more about determining the insurance risk with you rather than trying to prosecute you.

Last edited:

Sam45

21 June 2018
Ok, well it might now be prudent to cancel the policy and dont take any other insurance with that same company in future? That way removing any reason for them to continue to investigate?

Absolutely, I have no intention of taking out future cover with the insurer. It was a travel policy, so there is no current cover. The main concern is that the claim remains open because the insurer has refused to withdraw it and I am concerned that aside from rejecting the claim, they may refer the matter to the police.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Absolutely, I have no intention of taking out future cover with the insurer. It was a travel policy, so there is no current cover. The main concern is that the claim remains open because the insurer has refused to withdraw it and I am concerned that aside from rejecting the claim, they may refer the matter to the police.
Sorry i added an edit to my earlier post...

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,
I don't have knowledge in this matter, but I like to point out that the travel insurance scams (not reference to your situation) is in the interest of police and was in the news lately, so I think this issue will be taken seriously. Also, I heard there are vehicle insurance scams too, so it could be that the insurance companies are trying to catch people and charge them to make an example of them with the objective of minimising these scams. This is my opinion in this matter.