VIC I'm having issues with the ex

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Charless

8 August 2020
My ex expects me to pay child support,when I'm not even allowed to see my child .
I am refusing to pay the child support agency.because I believe this to be very unfair . To make matters worse I am in a hot spot and child support is still hounding me .
My ex is interstate, and I feel I have no chance now to see my child .
Any advice would be great

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Liability to pay child support has nothing to do with access to your child. The Child Support Agency has no jurisdiction or control over the issue of access. Refusing to pay child support will not help you to resolve your problem, and in fact will very likely be used against you should you seek orders granting you access.

My suggestions are:
1. Pay your child support - or, as I call it, 'Dumb tax for having the right kid with the wrong person';
2. Wait for the world to become a slightly safer place again when you're not in a hotspot;
3. Seek access to your child and, if your ex refuses, start the process to seek orders.

Atticus

6 February 2019
My ex expects me to pay child support,when I'm not even allowed to see my child
IMPORTANT >>>> It's not her doing. Child support is administered by the CSA. Don't take this out on her
To make matters worse I am in a hot spot and child support is still hounding me .
My ex is interstate, and I feel I have no chance now to see my child .
Any advice would be great
These Current Covid restrictions are also nobody's fault... Unless your ex agrees to access, & you satisfy ALL the covid restriction requirements of both states (extremely unlikely) than normal visits can't accour ATM... Stay on speaking terms & hopefully you can get more electronic communication with your kid until things change

1) Do you have parenting orders?
2) Are you currently receiving Job Seeker?