QLD How to Stop Harassment Via Emails?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Snapchat07

3 February 2017
Hi,

I have a question I can't seem to find answers for. My ex has very expensive lawyers who send me harassing emails every week, sometimes twice a week threatening legal action constantly. I do not wish to receive emails from them.

Are they legally allowed to continue to email me? We have final orders in place that state ex is to communicate with me direct via text or email and if we can't resolve a problem, to go to mediation.

sammy01

27 September 2015
So what is harassing about the emails?

My thought - create another email account. Then communicate to the solicitors advising them to please communicate via the new email account. Then don't bother ever opening the thing.

If you've got final orders in place and you're complying with them then really your ex is wasting his time and money... But if you're not complying with the orders, then you really do ought to make sure you're following the orders to the letter of the law, so that your ex's solicitors have no grounds to have to communicate with you

Snapchat07

3 February 2017
The emails are two to three pages long, they constantly accuse me of things and threaten court action, threaten i will have to pay costs when it goes to court. Try to get me to sign numerous undertakings.

I have exactly followed the final court order to the letter since it was implemented. They just continue to try to mess with my head and tell me I have breached it. I sought advice from three separate lawyers to clarify if I hadn't not as the order was confusing and all agreed I have not breached the order. I was already bullied into signing the parenting order and the financial order where I came out with nothing. I just want to move in with my life but feels like this will never end.

MartyK

4 June 2016
If you are following the Court orders, send an email to the solicitor politely asking them to desist in further communications, and referring to, and quoting, the order you have mentioned in your initial post.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I'd suggest replying to them and assert that their conduct is a potential breach of Rule 34.1.1 of the Australian Solicitors Conduct Rules. This rule states:

"A solicitor must not in any action or communication associated with representing a client... make any statement which grossly exceeds the legitimate assertion of the rights or entitlements of the solicitor's client, and which misleads or intimidates the other person."

If they don't change their tone, you can refer the matter to the Legal Services Commission for their investigation - www.lsc.qld.gov.au. The LSC is a state government body which investigates complaints against Queensland legal practitioners.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yep - look there is another option... Write back. Write a long explanation in minute detail... But I reckon you ought to get opinions from folk here for example before responding... Why? Well my solicitor charged $30 for each 100 words she had to read...

So after a while, I started to write back to my ex's solicitor. I wrote long letters... It cost the ex lots of money and eventually she stopped...