VIC How to Stop Ex Husband Taking Daughter Overseas?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hellen

29 June 2015
How I can stop my ex husband taking our daughter to another country under family law? She is 6 years old.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Does the child have a passport (from any country)?

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Hellen,

If your ex husband has not yet removed your child from Australia

Apply to the Family Court for an injunction to prevent your ex husband from taking your child overseas. Other steps: place your child on the airport watch list, alert the Passport Office to prevent them from issuing your child a passport (if no passport is already issued). The Passport Office will not issue a child a passport without the consent of both parents. If your ex husband wants to apply for a passport without your consent, he will need a court order. Therefore, you can apply to the court to prevent your ex husband from obtaining one.

If your ex husband has already taken your child overseas

Then you need to apply to the court for a relocation order as soon as possible. Read this information sheet from the Australian Federal Police on recovery orders.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Is this for a holiday or is there a risk of permanent relocation?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
If you have a genuine fear that the father will abduct the child to a foreign country, then you can apply to the court for an urgent parenting order that restricts travel with the child and places them on the airport watch list. Alternatively, the court might impose a bond that facilitates the travel but places funds from the other parent into a trust account to be used to cover legal costs if proceedings to return the child have to commence.

I believe the form is on the Family Coirt website.

Reactions: Tim W

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
There's also a useful page here.
Read down the page a bit to where it talks about overseas travel.