LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD How to Stop Ex from Stalling Through Expensive Lawyer Fees?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by running, 10 June 2016.

1. running

running Well-Known Member

Hi,

My ex-husband has started to put repeated petty questions through the lawyers, as a way of revenge if he can't get his own way.

He has already managed to get his Child Support reduced to $0, and he lives in the family home (in his name), while the kids and I left due to his abuse. He is self-employed and makes good money. I am only a beginning teacher.

Most of my pay is going to lawyer fees, and it's getting eaten by petty questions (requests for minor changes, extra days even after I have refused). How do I stop these petty matters costing money and keep my fees paying for the actual stuff that needs to get sorted out (custody and property)?

2. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but this is fairly common practice in this particular field of law. The Court won't restrict one party from contacting the representation of the other, so if one party wants to compel the other to settle by consent, the quickest way to get there is to drown them in legal fees so a trial becomes unaffordable. Best way to limit your costs is to self-represent.