Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW How to File a Cross Claim for a Debt Issue?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by mel888, 1 November 2015.

  1. mel888

    mel888 Member

    1 November 2015
    Likes Received:
    I am trying to find out how to file a cross claim, as a debt relates to a ncat hearing which should have been appealed, but I was given the wrong information at the time. I was told to file a set aside when the time period had already lapsed, and if I file an appeal I risk loosing the money to file the appeal as the time period has lapsed as well?

    The person I need to file this against has used every solicitor in Bathurst and Orange, creating a conflict of interest, so I am at a loss as to how to find a solicitor.
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Well-Known Member

    16 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    Usually when you file a defence to a claim you have the option of filing a defence and cross claim. I am guessing it will be a form on the ncat website. What type of claim is it and what division?

    This is what the NCAT website says about cross claims:

    "You may be able to lodge a 'cross-claim' depending on the type of application. For example, you cannot lodge a cross-claim in a consumer claim or motor vehicles matter. Check the relevant legislation for further information.

    If you are going to lodge a cross-claim, you should do this quickly so that the applications can be heard together at the same time. You should also seek independent legal advice as a cross-claim may delay the resolution of the dispute."

    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page