NSW How to File a Cross Claim for a Debt Issue?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mel888

1 November 2015
I am trying to find out how to file a cross claim, as a debt relates to a ncat hearing which should have been appealed, but I was given the wrong information at the time. I was told to file a set aside when the time period had already lapsed, and if I file an appeal I risk loosing the money to file the appeal as the time period has lapsed as well?

The person I need to file this against has used every solicitor in Bathurst and Orange, creating a conflict of interest, so I am at a loss as to how to find a solicitor.

S

Sophea

Usually when you file a defence to a claim you have the option of filing a defence and cross claim. I am guessing it will be a form on the ncat website. What type of claim is it and what division?

This is what the NCAT website says about cross claims:

"You may be able to lodge a 'cross-claim' depending on the type of application. For example, you cannot lodge a cross-claim in a consumer claim or motor vehicles matter. Check the relevant legislation for further information.

If you are going to lodge a cross-claim, you should do this quickly so that the applications can be heard together at the same time. You should also seek independent legal advice as a cross-claim may delay the resolution of the dispute."