NSW How to Arrange Mediation After Divorce?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

abc

19 January 2016
Appreciate if anyone can assist here.

Divorce is done. Both parties are living interstate. We want to settle some financial things through mediation, possibly over the phone. I have a solicitor who was looking for the custody of children thing. The solicitor has not solved anything through correspondence.

How should I initiate a mediation and through whom? Do I need to engage my solicitor or I can do it by myself. Relationships Australia can't help as they don't do phone mediation.

Thanks again

sammy01

27 September 2015
Some solicitors offer mediation services. Waste of money and lots of it (IMO). What sort of money are you talking? What sort of assets? Is there property in joint names?

Every chance court is the only option. First thing the court will do is order more mediation. You might wanna do some maths to work out if it is worthwhile.... Spending $30 000 for a $40 000 return is not worth it in my book. And there is always the chance you'll spend $50 000 for a $40 000 return - by way of example.... Worth it? Nope.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney

abc

19 January 2016
Hmm, doesn't sound good. Joint name and it seems either take it to court or try for mediation. Any other option left? Don't think so. So mediation is cheaper than court.

Question is how can I engage phone mediation?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Tim I sincerely hope I didn't offend you, but I believe solicitors fees are outrageous for the average punter. But I'd really like to hear your opinion - there is something wrong when people can't get justice because justice is so expensive. Especially, when talking about family law; double so when kids are involved, true?

ABC - nope, mediation isn't cheaper than court and as mentioned, you need to look at the financial realities before proceeding. It might well be worth employing someone like Tim once you crunch the numbers. So if I can use my case as an example, the dispute was over about $40 000 and there were kids involved. We had more money / assets than the $40 000, but that and the kids was the point of dispute. Between us we spent $40 000 on solicitors fighting over $40 000 (and the kids) madness.

So for example, you could organise mediation with Tim. Spend let's say $3000 for all his time, etc etc (I have no idea what Tim charges) and if it works, great money well spent. But if it doesn't? Well, complete waste of money.

Now in Tim's defence, he can't read the future any more than anyone else. (Now see - I'm not trashing you, much). But if ABC thinks mediation is doomed to failure then why waste the money. You're better off spending the money to get a solicitor to get it into court, especially given court will direct you to mediate again anyways...

Now if you're only talking about money, then assuming you have the mediation certificate then self-representing is worth thinking about. Doing lots of the leg work yourself leading up to trial can save thousands. Using a solicitor is sensible if it is affordable.

Now if you're talking about a property that is in both names, I reckon that changes the game lots. What matters most is who is residing in the thing and who is paying for it - nothing to do with law, everything to do with expediency.

You need to make the situation so that it is more expedient for the other party to settle than to not.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Tim I sincerely hope I didn't offend you
You are a frequent contributor here.
Perhaps you can clarify something for me?
I am unable to discern from your many... energetic... and presumably well intentioned posts
whether or not you are a lawyer, or a law student,
or one of those family law clients who purports to extrapolate their personal experience
into universal truth?

Perhaps, for the benefit of later readers, you could use a signature that makes clear your... standing.
sammi01 said:
ABC - nope, mediation isn't cheaper than court and as mentioned,
This statement is not always and automatically correct.
I don't do family law. However, outside of family law, ADR generally (of which mediation is but one form) can be significantly less expensive than court.
That's why courts encourage it.
sammi01 said:
Now in Tim's defence....
...(Now see - I'm not trashing you, much)...
A person with a thinner skin than me would invite you to stop patronising them, right about now.
sammi01 said:
Now if you're talking about a property that is in both names,
Whereas lawyers would tell you that this is a situation that occurs so often
that it is not a "game changer" at all. It is a very frequently occurring scenario.
Property settlement is part of the general work in Family Law.
sammi01 said:
......nothing to do with law
This is not always and automatically correct.
The methods used to achieve property settlements are prescribed by law,
albeit with considerable scope for tailoring to suit the people and circumstances involved.
"Tailoring" in this context includes the use of ADR.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Tim,

Thanks for taking time to respond - the written word often fails to adequately express intention - I am grateful and not being sarcastic.

Perhaps you can clarify something for me?
I'm just a well-intentioned poster and not naive enough to think my experience are universal truths. I'm a bloke who spent $30 000 on family law without ever walking into a family court room. I did think about doing a law degree as a result of my experiences and read up on uni courses, until someone said to me "your ex wife has caused you so much grief, why would you want to deal with other people and their ex's". And, yep my posts are energetic - I'm also hoping they're accurate and feel free to correct me if you see an error. But henceforth I will sign off with Sammy - Punter....

Next - yup, mediation ain't always cheaper. Relationships Australia can do it for nothing, or next to nothing - Charged me maybe $100. But it doesn't involve solicitors, that is why I encouraged the original poster to crunch the numbers...

ABC has already spent money getting a solicitor to write letters to the ex with no result. So compromising has been tried and failed - flogging a dead horse. Tim correct me if I'm wrong but once you make a court application, is it very likely that the court will in the first instance order mediation again anyways so if you're in a situation where history shows there ain't any give and take then doing mediation with solicitors prior to court, only to be ordered to do it again is a waste of money?

Now I reckon that is why an opinion from a punter outside the system is worthwhile - just to give a different perspective to that offered by a solicitor. Let;s move on..

Now the written word often fails to express the intent and the intent wasn't to patronise. And like I said. If ABC reckons mediation is doomed to failure - then why bother? Especially when you're only gonna be forced by the magistrate to mediate again anyways....

So the reason assets in joint names is a 'game changer' is because for most punters going to court for asset division just ain't worth it because the cost of the assets when considered along side the costs of running the case means that unless there is an asset that is mutually owned in law it is best to avoid court. IF however, there is a joint asset then it can't just be left alone - it needs to be sorted and as such court is the only way of sorting it.

So to finish my rant - I do think getting a solicitor is the best option - but - when the average income in Australia is about $80 000, solicitors are beyond the average punter. And Tim I'd really like to hear your opinion on this one... Maybe solicitors work within the constructs of the legislation and as such have a narrow - legalistic perspective when providing advice rather than looking at the big picture.... So to illuminate my point.

My solicitor advised me to continue paying the mortgage even though I wasn't allowed near the house courtesy of an AVO. Solicitor told me to keep paying the mortgage because I had a legal responsibility to do so.... So while solicitors know the law - they don't know the personalities involved. So when I chose to ignore the solicitor and I stopped paying the mortgage my ex moved from refusing to negotiate / discuss child access to being very willing to negotiate/ discuss. But that requires an ability to remove the emotion from the situation and be strategic and that can mean putting legal principles aside and finding alternate ways of moving forward.

Now I don't think a hell of a lot of people can do that all that well and I know I have failed on that front once or twice. So for example at mediation my ex suggested a limited financial agreement where I paid $500 a fortnight not the $400 assessed by CSA - I was enraged - how dare the ex demand more money says I. My solicitor put me in my place and reminded me I had told my solicitor I was happy to pay $550 for 3 years if it stitched up the deal. I had failed to be rational and having the solicitor there to remind me was beneficial. But I do think opinions from a site like this from outsiders can be beneficial in finding solutions or at least bouncing ideas around in a way that helps give folks insights without the expense.

So ABC - sorry kind of took over your thread - To answer your question a solicitor can organise a tele-conference if both parties agree. Since that is the question you asked. But again - there is strategy here. Might be better to file for court in your location. Once confronted with the complexities of the ex getting a solicitor near where you filed and all the other expenses it might motivate them to start compromising....

My thinking goes like this. Folk rarely do stuff without a sledgehammer (motivator). Now if you have spent money on letters from solicitors and gotten no-where then it is time to up the ante. Now the solicitor's letter would have indicated court was an option if a compromise cant be found - So the passive threat of court has gotten you no-where. So we need to find a bit more motivation and the fear/threat/ of court is often that motivator.

Now my understanding is that most cases get sorted without the magistrate making a decision. Often this happens outside the court while the magistrate is still deliberating - But you gotta apply that pressure to encourage the other party to start compromising.

abc

19 January 2016
If anyone can share some information...

In regards to the property settlement, the other party agreed on a deal upon discussion between our lawyers, but when it comes to paperwork, she sacked her lawyer. When it went to court mediation, she represent by herself and agreed upon another deal. But after that, she again stopped responding and not doing paperwork.

It's been 2 months since mediation is done. She kept saying she is seeking legal advice. In the meantime, my super and property value is going up and so does my personal debt too.

If it goes to hearing, is court going to stick to the mediation result or going to consider all gains on assets or is there going to be another mediation followed by lengthy hearings?

Lennon

11 September 2014
Appreciate if anyone can assist here.

Divorce is done. Both parties are living interstate. We want to settle some financial things through mediation, possibly over the phone. I have a solicitor who was looking for the custody of children thing. The solicitor has not solved anything through correspondence.

How should I initiate a mediation and through whom? Do I need to engage my solicitor or I can do it by myself. Relationships Australia can't help as they don't do phone mediation.

Thanks again

Relationships Australia conducted 3 x phone mediations for me.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Options:

1. Do mediation, doesn't work, go to court, explain to court didn't work, want a judgment.

2. Go to court, court orders mediation , do mediation, doesn't work, back to court

Option 1 means an unsympathetic judge sends you back to mediation a second time.

Option 2 means court fees may be unnecessarily incurred if mediation works.

Chances of mediation working - not high based on your post. It is likely your ex also sees rising super and rising real estate prices and is content to delay.

You have to work out what is best for you.