SA Family Law - Estranged Father Now Wants Time with Children - Options?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Shellie

4 January 2016
Hello, I have been divorced for 9 years. In the divorce application, the children were stated as living with me. I have had 100% of care and custody of children all this time. He hardly sees the children and it took years for child support to finally start legal proceedings for him to start paying.

My marriage was a very violent marriage. I want to move to QLD where I will find plenty of work. Also finding out recently my biological father has been diagnosed with frontal local dementia, whom I only found four years ago.

Long story short, we've been to mediation and he flatly refused my offer of every school holidays. Mediation is on hold. My daughter is 7. He has never gone for custody nor had a lot to do with her. Now all of a sudden, he has taken her for a sleepover. I have tried doing the right thing.

What do I do now under family law? I'm not leaving my daughter, he knows that I've raised his 4 children alone and he can still dictate my life.

Thank you for your time

Gary Huddleston

28 January 2016
Why not let your daughter see her father every alternative weekend, plus once or twice during the week? That way your daughter will be happy!

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok so firstly, things don't quite make sense. You've been divorced for 9 years but have a 7year old?

What sort of access does dad want?

Is the issue more to do with your desire to move to QLD?