NSW How Long will Processing of 186 Visa Take?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Emerald Eng

4 March 2017
Nominated Position: Customer Service Manager of a Retailing Shop. 457 visa granted in September 2013.

The employer nomination was lodged in April 2016 and granted in November 2016. In November 2016, I lodged 186 visa application for me and my wife (dependant) and did health checks without being notified by a case officer.

1. The processing time for 186 visa is 6 -10 months. The employer nomination took 7 months (April to November). Will 186 visa take another 6--10 months or just a few months more after the nomination is granted?

I haven't received any email / phone inquiry from DIBP since lodging the 186 visa in November 2016.

2. Can I assign a solicitor to inquire about the 186 visa processing status and possibly shorten the processing time?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Emerald,

From what I have read, it can take roughly 6 months for the actual 186 visa. You should be able to inquire yourself but if you would prefer you could assign a solicitor. I really don't think you need to pay a solicitor to inquire.

If you lodge the application electronically you may be able to link it to an IMMI account ImmiAccount - Login on do an online check.

Emerald Eng

4 March 2017
Thank you, Lance.

I was told there is a chance to request DIBP to shorten the processing time. Is a solicitor qualified to do this while I'm not? Is there actually any chance to request a shorter processing time from DIBP for 186?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Emerald,

An Immigration Lawyer should be able to make the request on your behalf. You may be able to do it yourself but you should generally expect that someone skilled in immigration matters will have greater success. You can always ask for a shorter time, I'm not sure how successful you will be but I wouldn't think there is any harm in asking.