NSW Help! Ex wife refuses to give address

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Getmatthews

2 January 2020
Need to find the address of my ex wife so she can be served legal documents.

I have a pending court case against her as for the past year she has refused to let me see my son.

Just before Christmas my lawyer's representative went to her house to serve legal documents and discovered it was vacant. They had also tried going to my son's school at pickup and dropoff time but they could not locate her.

I have pleaded with her to provide her current address but she still refuses.

Any ideas on how we can legally find this women would be greatly appreciated. The quicker we find her the better.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Subpoena the school for the address, or apply for alternative service (eg her parents address).

Getmatthews

2 January 2020
Subpoena the school for the address, or apply for alternative service (eg her parents address).

Thanks for your advice. I thought about going down the school route but it's holidays at the moment so I don't know if that'll be effective... but yeah sounds good.

Getmatthews

2 January 2020
Rod I've read some about some cases where the legal documents / subpoenas were served via email to the other party is this true?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
some cases where the legal documents / subpoenas were served via email to the other party is this true?

Generally applications are not served via email. A court wants to be sure the other party is aware court action has commenced and it is your obligation to convince the court the other party is aware of pending court action.

You can try email but the other party will need to cooperate and send back an acknowledgement of service.

Getmatthews

2 January 2020
Generally applications are not served via email. A court wants to be sure the other party is aware court action has commenced and it is your obligation to convince the court the other party is aware of pending court action.

You can try email but the other party will need to cooperate and send back an acknowledgement of service.

Thank you very much for your advice Rod.