- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

ACT Serving Divorce Papers Via Email or Facebook?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Ronnie, 29 November 2015.

  1. Ronnie

    Ronnie Member

    29 November 2015
    Likes Received:
    My partner and I have been together for 14 years and he has been separated from his wife for 15 years. He hasn't spoken to her for the last 6 years or so, and we have no idea where she lives. One of her friends contacted me via Facebook a few months ago to suggest it was about time my partner divorced his ex.

    I manage to find his ex on Facebook and sent her a message to say if she wanted a divorce she just had to ask and let us know her address so we could send the divorce papers. She wants a divorce but won't give her address for the papers to be sent via post. Can we send her the papers via messenger on Facebook?
  2. JS79

    JS79 Well-Known Member

    2 October 2015
    Likes Received:
    Has your ex checked electoral rolls and phone books for his ex's address? If you still cannot find an address to personally serve his ex (he won't be able to personally serve her - he will need to get someone over 18 to do it) or to post it to his ex (it should only be posted if he is sure she will send it back then he will have to apply to the court to get substituted service by email accepted).
  3. N Knight

    N Knight Well-Known Member

    27 December 2015
    Likes Received:
    You will need to file an application in a case - seeking substituted service on her via Facebook/email.
    More and more Registrars are getting tech savvy

Share This Page