QLD Goodwill Vouchers from Previous Employer - Fraud under Employment Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
2 November 2015
I was previously employed by a company and my final date of employment was September 18th 2015. I gave four weeks notice with the retail company and on the date of handing in my notice, my details in the company's database went from "staff" to just a regular customer.

On September 24th, my customer profile was loaded with approx $2000 in vouchers which stated "goodwill vouchers". On October 23rd, one month later, I went and spent said vouchers in store as a customer, purchasing the items at the RRP. No money was physically paid as the vouchers covered the retail price of the items.

One week later, I have received an email from the regional manager accusing me of fraudulent activity, stating that the vouchers were for "staff uniform" and as I was no longer employed by the company, I was not entitled to spend them. She has demanded I return the items with tags or if tags aren't attached pay the RRP in cash. She has threatened law enforcement if I don't rectify the issue within two days.

Is this fraud under Employment Law and do I need to return the items?

Thanks in advance!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What conditions were attached to the use of the vouchers?