NSW Goods supplied debt collector

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nala2017

1 January 2017
Hi All,

So about 2 months ago my husband was text messaging a guy from a garage door company about having 2 panels of our door replaced (to a rental house we were moving out of)
the guy from the company kept stuffing us around ie; not replying for days/a week. My husband got the shits and decided to go with someone else and the job got done.

Now the issue we had is my husband told the guy to order the parts (the door panels) Andy the guy had sent an invoice and said the door wouldn’t be ordered until we paid a deposit- which we didn’t do.

Fast forward a few weeks and now we’re getting letters from a debt collector saying we have to pay for the door panels as “goods supplied”
Can they legally do this?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
No. Tell the debt collector no goods were supplied, payment of a deposit was a stated condition to enter the contract, and you did not pay that deposit.

Clancy

6 April 2016
That really irritates me when tradesmen or suppliers jerk you around. You have money to give to them for the job, and they presumably do want your money, so their big idea is not take your money, instead, spin tales of leprechauns and fairies and play hide and seek.... My 4 year old child loves those kinds of things.... have they not yet grown up from kindergarten?