Letters from debt collector on behalf of Insurance company

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SnookScorp

12 October 2020
My partner accidentally banged her car on our garage door while reversing the car. This happened early July. We are renting out the apartment. We informed the real estate agent, they organized the garage door replacement thru Strata. We were never asked to pay for the damage/ door replacement. We were never told that we may have to pay for this etc.

Surprisingly, not pleasantly, in September, there was a call and email from DRA Mercantile saying that we have to pay around 3k AUD for the reimbursement of their client's (Insurance company) loss. Now, in October, the lady from DRA is chasing again thru phone and email asking for payment. The Final Notice sent thru email says delaying this matter further may result in legal proceedings, additional costs and my credit rating may also be affected.

For me, this does not sound right. In the first place, Strata or property agent never asked us for the payment to replace the garage door. There was no communication on we have to pay for this whatsoever until the door was replaced. I presume Strata went thru their Insurance and got the money claimed. It appears the Insurance company got hold of my details and now trying to recover what they paid to the Strata from me, which is not right.

Insurance company should have rejected the claim from Strata if they think it is not valid. They should not be trying to recover the money from me thru debt collection agency. Right?
Do they have legal rights to ask me for reimbursement?
What will be the consequences if I keep neglecting this DRA Mercantile call and email?
Will my car CTP insurance would have covered for the garage door damage?