QLD Friend Owes Money from Overseas Travel?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

annonymously

1 September 2014
So while on holidays we rented on three different occasions car hire I was the main driver while she did do some driving in places also but we travelled together all around UK and Europe. I paid all the car hire on my credit card. Also while in Glasgow, we ended up getting a parking fine because we took too long getting back to the car due to my friend taking too long trying clothes on. When I told her about the fine she said she would pay for it as it was all her fault for taking too long and getting the fine. She also owes me for a hotel we booked in Santorini. They didn't accept credit cards so I had to go around to a corner ATM and get cash out and pay the hotel in cash which she also owes me for.

So am I right in asking half of everything that I paid out for because we travelled together, plus the whole fine of what happened in Glasgow? I've asked her for the money back and she is now avoiding me. The amount she owes me is nearly $3000.00 worth of car hire, the hotel and the parking fine

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What was your agreement before you left on the trip? And do you have anything in writing saying how expenses would be shared, preferably before you left on holidays?

annonymously

1 September 2014
we discussed while on holidays that the car hire would be split in half to pay each and that she would pay me back when we got home., she was standing with me at each car hire pick up counter going through all the payment process. when i spoke to her last week she asked me to email the amounts to her and now she is avoiding me

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Did you send the email? Did she make any kind of reply?

Maybe she can't afford it the moment. Suggest a payment plan if this is the case.

Email her again and say in the email she appears to be avoiding you. Also send an SMS saying you've sent her an email. You need a good document trail in case you need/want to take her to court.

annonymously

1 September 2014
Did you send the email? Did she make any kind of reply?

Maybe she can't afford it the moment. Suggest a payment plan if this is the case.

Email her again and say in the email she appears to be avoiding you. Also send an SMS saying you've sent her an email. You need a good document trail in case you need/want to take her to court.

Yes I sent the email last week and asked in the email if she had any questions or wanted to let me know of anything to contact me
I've emailed her again today asking her to contact me. I also left her a voicemail on her phone

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @annonymously
You may consider giving your friend another few days to contact you. If not, then consider sending a letter of demand.
The Arts Law website has an Information Sheet on Claim Claim Debt Recovery in Queensland that may assist you.

Businesses send and receive letters of demand, final notices to pay, etc. each day. That said, it's important to keep in mind that a letter of demand between (former) friends may irretrievably destroy any chances of rebuilding your friendship.

Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.

annonymously

1 September 2014
thanks for the advice - will leave until the end of the week then will try to contact again - will definitely post what happens and I don't plan to build another friendship with this person in the future

Reactions: John R