VIC Do I Have to Pay Half of Credit Card Debt?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Heartbroken

15 June 2017
Hello

Just after some help, I am new here, so please bear with me.

I recently separated from my fiancé. We have been together 4 yrs, engaged for 3 yrs. When we got together, I was living in a rental, he moved in with me & my son.

Unfortunately he was going through the family court to have regular access with his own 3 children. I didn't ask for any money towards rent, etc for a while, due to costs of court etc. We moved into a bigger house (rental), we went halves in rent, halves in groceries, he paid utility bills, I paid house insurance etc.

I stopped working for about 2 months due to illness, so we got a personal loan to help with finances. Also I needed dental work, then we got a credit card to set up my family daycare business, both personal loan & credit card are in his name. I upgraded my car also, the finance is in both of our names, but Rego is in my name & I make the payments.

The credit card was used for items in house, my daycare insurance, my dental treatment, groceries, so now he is asking me to go halves in the debt of credit card, unfortunately he cheated, so yeah I am mega hurt. What I want to know is, legally do I have to give him any money, seeming the credit card & personal loan is in his name, I have also taken his name off the lease. Lease doesn't end until November.

Any help would be good

settle

4 February 2017
No you do not have to give him any money

The debt lies in his name, he is ultimately liable for it