VIC How Do We Get Our Monies Back?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Meggzy

16 December 2016
My daughter was going on a trip to the US next year with a friend. They were doing a tour for 8 days, then travelling for another 2 weeks. All accommodation was based on twin share. My daughter had paid all but $200 of her monies owed but the friend has only paid $400. The balances are due at the end of Dec.

The friend has gone MIA and won't answer any calls, texts or emails from my daughter or the travel agent. My daughter is set to lose at least $1500 of her money as the plans will now need to be changed. If she chooses to keep the booking the same, my daughter will have to pay the balance of the monies owed on accommodation by the friend of $2500. All the friend is set to lose at this stage according to the travel agent is her $400 deposit . How can this be?

Any help would be appreciated and do we have options to get any more monies back?

Thanks in advance

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi there,

Is it booked through a tour company - who all the money is paid to? Or is it with specific hotels, etc? It will depend on the specific refund policies of each as to whether you can get a refund or not or whether there would be a cancellation fee. If she has travel insurance - sometimes they will cover travel cancellations where one of the travellers is sick or something?