- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Fraud Investigation - Reported to Police

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Lilah, 2 May 2015.

  1. Lilah

    Lilah Member

    2 May 2015
    Likes Received:
    My friend has committed $400 property fraud a few weeks ago, but wants to make amends by returning the property. The victim has already reported the fraud to police and there is is currently an investigation under way, but she has recently contacted my friend and asked if she returned the goods, she will drop the charges.
    • Once someone has reported fraud to police, will the police still pursue it if the victim drops the charges and restitution are made before any charges are laid/the matter goes to court?
    • What sort of police record will be made if the charges are dropped?
    • Will that affect employment prospects and overseas travel?
  2. Do I need a Lawyer

    Do I need a Lawyer Well-Known Member

    21 January 2015
    Likes Received:
    Hi Lilah,

    Once a complaint is made to the police it then becomes up to them as to whether they continue with the charge. Whilst a victim can request that there be no further proceedings, it is ultimately a matter for the police.

    To answer the other questions we would need to know more about the matter.

    Kind regards.
  3. Ivy

    Ivy Well-Known Member

    10 February 2015
    Likes Received:
    What do you mean by property fraud? As opposed to theft.

Share This Page