Police Statement about Fraud Scam - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cecilia

16 June 2014
I am sadly to say a victim of fraud. That was a long time ago now. I reported to every authority in Australia. My fraud was for $23,000 but was still treated as though I wasn't worth the effort to try and obtain and charge my scammer. Being an online scam brings further difficulties in attempting to find and charge the offender. Our govt's relationship with other countries in general isn't very good so getting aide from overseas isn't going to happen. Your issue is closer to home. I've reported a hit and run to police providing the license plate number of the other vehicle and description of the driver. I was told when I followed up that they'd not even bothered to take my report and hence did nothing. This sadly is not uncommon. Police on the most part are lazy and very rarely follow up on reports no matter how much evidence you provide. Having your report altered by police is normal practice in my experience and occurs at all levels of govt. There's no need for you to appear before a court unless they catch the person responsible and then need you to be present at court when he's facing the charges. You can send a formal complaint to the police regarding how the officer in question has behaved and how he's falsified the evidence that you gave. This still may not help you. You are under no obligation to sign anything the police send you. I'd start with the formal complaint about the officer you first encountered. Complaint forms can be found on the police site in your given state. I'd suggest that you don't get your hopes up that anything will be done. I've been through the formal written complaint procedure before and all that did was provide me with more evidence that the police and govt departments are lazy, negligent and at every level will misconstrue your comments and statement to deliberately bury the issue. This is the most likely outcome. You can engage a private investigator who'll act according to your actual statement and may well find and apprehend this person. But they don't come cheap. Sadly even with a formal complaint about the officer you first dealt with you're unlikely to get the outcome you'd like. Best of luck. Might be worth putting in a formal complaint but may not help as more often than not police and even the CCC would prefer to bury the case rather than actually doing their jobs.
Thank you for your advice and I am sorry to hear that you have been defrauded of so much. I felt disappointed that just after being scammed, I met a policeman whose behaviour was also similar to the scammer because of the blatant lies I was told, and numerous unfulfiled promises. Initially, I also thought of making a complaint about the very unprofessional behaviour of the police but I thought it would be a waste of time because in spite of stating on their website about their integrity, the high probability would be trying to cover up for each other's wrongdoings. I have not met a good policeman so far, only lazy or abusive of their power. I have chosen to forget about this case, and learned a lesson not to feel sorry for people easily and help them blindly. My best wishes to you.

Strongarms38

16 April 2014
Thank you for your advice and I am sorry to hear that you have been defrauded of so much. I felt disappointed that just after being scammed, I met a policeman whose behaviour was also similar to the scammer because of the blatant lies I was told, and numerous unfulfiled promises. Initially, I also thought of making a complaint about the very unprofessional behaviour of the police but I thought it would be a waste of time because in spite of stating on their website about their integrity, the high probability would be trying to cover up for each other's wrongdoings. I have not met a good policeman so far, only lazy or abusive of their power. I have chosen to forget about this case, and learned a lesson not to feel sorry for people easily and help them blindly. My best wishes to you.

Thanks Cecilia.

I'm well past the incident now. I have many issues with poor policing and govt agencies not doing their jobs even when a minor is in direct danger due to their inability to follow up on reports. Over 20 reports. But yes they all merely cover for each other even when I have all the paperwork that ties them to the lies. It's a pointless and unnecessary expense. You only need one staff member to answer a phone then forget about the call. Could fix the budget right there. Sorry for your loss. There are some decent people in this world. But I guess the lesson is not to trust anyone you might meet online unless you've gone through the necessary process to prove they're who they say they are. Normal people won't mind answering simple questions. Only a scammer will. For your peace of mind just weed them out and be happier for it.