Forced Removal of Cigarettes in Mental Health Ward - Legal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kaye escott

23 November 2014
I work in an acute mental health admission ward. A no-smoking policy has been introduced but is poorly adhered to which has resulted in the compulsory removal of cigarettes and lighters from both involuntary detained, and voluntary patients. Is removal of a mental healthy patients property in this manner legal under Australian Law?

Amanda E

9 April 2014
Hi Kaye,
The ward should be able to properly and fully enforce its policies, but some questions:
  • Are the patients made aware of the policy on admission?
  • Are the cigarettes and lighters stored safely for the patients and returned to them when they are discharged?

Kaye escott

23 November 2014
Hi Kaye,
The ward should be able to properly and fully enforce its policies, but some questions:
  • Are the patients made aware of the policy on admission?
  • Are the cigarettes and lighters stored safely for the patients and returned to them when they are discharged?
Hello Amanda. Yes the patients are told on admission and properties are returned on discharge. Occasionally removal has resulted in aggression, with resulting restraint/seclusion, especially amongst those detained under the mental health act.

maggi

24 November 2014
I work in a similar situation and have seen hospital property set alight so the no smoking police should be strictly enforced.
Nicotine replacement is always offered and when accepted usually helps

Reactions: Amanda E

Amanda E

9 April 2014
Then it sounds like you're doing the right thing based on your responses to my questions.
I also like @maggi's practical additions.