VIC False Domestic Violence Claims from Ex - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

komal

22 November 2015
Hi. I was married to an Indian girl two years back and it was an arranged marriage. It's a short term marriage. We hardly stayed two months together and hardly had a conversation.

The girl got her visa in this July but her main intention to marry me was only to get Permanent Residency. After she reached here, she put false domestic violence case on me. She threatened me that she would do this as it's the path to get the permanent residency.

We are not living together and now I received a letter from her lawyer for spousal maintenance every week. Please help, what should I do? She is doing everything to fool everyone. She also visited the doctor to show that she was a victim. How can I get protection because I'm innocent and still being quiet in this matter?

I can't pay her because I don't have any property or savings.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Don't respond. If you don't have kids and based on some of the info, I reckon you should not even respond. Wait and see if she makes a court application. Hopefully she will not make a court application and the thing will go away.

Are you still married? If not then great. If yes, then wait a month or two then initiate a divorce application.

komal

22 November 2015
Thanx for your reply. she contested the divorce application and her main motive is to pass on the one year as the court orders against me not to communicate wd each other for one year. she is doing everything for collecting her evidences so that she can get pr. she keeps on lying in every statement.May be she is thinking that if she passes on this one year, till then may be immigration her pr.. On the basis of false domestic violence, she is getting everything... what should i do? I am really very helpless..

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok, so it was a short marriage and you have no assets, right? So there is nothing for her to try and get from you?

Seems she is refusing to do the divorce because she is using you to get permanent residence.

mzJcHarris

22 November 2015
I don't really have any experience or expertise in this area but maybe try contacting immigration with your claim.