NSW Fair settlement out of court

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nextup

17 September 2019
Any advice on how a stay at home mother can get a fair settlement without having to actually go to court and pay all those legal fees? I’m hoping to return to study next year - as was always the plan - splitting up was not... he earns about 200k a year so can afford to take this to court but I’m hoping he won’t want to. When I saw a lawyer it was all very wishy washy you’ll be fine and here’s a list of our fees / potential court costs but no real advice on what is realistic to expect so I don’t end up in poverty while he continues his career that he built up while mine collapsed under nappies and laundry.

sammy01

27 September 2015
so it is gonna depend. If he wants to play hard then you're in trouble. If it is amicable, I'd suggest you ask him to agree to go see a solicitor with you and ask the solicitor to look at the numbers and come up with a fair split. Nice easy cheap.... Kinda... But that is the best starting point