VIC Ex smokespot in house

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Donaldretv

5 August 2019
Ex has kids 5 days a week , she smokes marijuana and cigarettes like a chimney and in front of kids who are 7 and 11 so I find this repulsive, is this grounds for me to get more custody

sammy01

27 September 2015
do you have court orders?
More detail needed before you'll get good advice.

Donaldretv

5 August 2019
do you have court orders?
More detail needed before you'll get good advice.
Theres no court or orders in place, I haven't taken legal action as yet , she has kids 5 days per week me on weekends , the smoke around my children is bothering me she refuses to quit and says the smell is beneficial to them . Do i jump in to legal action

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do i jump in to legal action

Not as your first or second choice.

Your first approach has failed.

Second step, time to put it in writing. I'd be reminding her that it is illegal to smoke in a car with anyone under 18 for health reasons. Same sort of logic applies to smoking in a house.

Whether you want to go down the next step which is legal action depends on a range of factors including where you both live (same house, other), can you cope having the kids 7 days a week, can you afford it, etc

Hard to give proper advice in a situation like this without discussing all the possible ramifications.