NSW Family Court - Chances of Grandmother Getting Access to Children?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sammyjo

14 December 2016
Ok, so after a recent argument with my mother, she has told me she will go to family court for access to my kids. Now my mother has seen the kids maybe 5 times in 5 years, only ever spoken to them on birthdays and stuff like that. I know she smokes pot and supplies cigarettes for my 16-year-old brother.

She also had my brothers and sisters removed from her care. She's been to jail and so has her partner. What's the chance of her getting access of my children? And how can I stop her when it goes to family court?

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
I'd say she's all talk. Unless you are putting your kids at harm, then she has no hope. Not to mention the amount of money it would cost her to even get to the point of having to go to court.

Sammyjo

14 December 2016
I'd say she's all talk. Unless you are putting your kids at harm, then she has no hope. Not to mention the amount of money it would cost her to even get to the point of having to go to court.
She is on government payments so would get legal aid. I just don't let my kids go anywhere without me other than school, like I haven't had a night to myself in 4 years.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Honestly Sammyjo, the court is not in the habit of handing care of kids over to vindictive grandmothers who can't even care for their own kids. I imagine she would still have to attempt mediation with you first. And they don't hand legal aid out to just anyone. She would have to have a good case for legal aid to take her on.

I would just put her out of my life and continue to be a good mum to the kids.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Legal aid have to be convinced of the merits of the case before they will fund a case. Ignore it.

Reactions: Sammyjo